Friday 18 May 2012

Generation One - Chapter Five


A few weeks later and I wasn't the host of a party, I was a guest. The only  guest.

First thing I saw was Odin's wife drinking his blood like he was a juice box, and him looking incredibly drugged. I had no idea what the hell I was witnessing, but I felt like I was intruding something private.

I wasn't sure if she was even aware of me arriving, but the first few seconds were more than a little awkward. I looked around for other guests to arrive or to chat to while I was waiting, but no one else came. He really had only invited me.


Odin didn't seem to need long to recover, and looked like his usual self again pretty quickly. He invited me inside where we had nothing much to do but chat. His wife didn't seem too interested in joining the "party", and seemed perfectly happy watching TV.

It got even more awkward when Odin had to leave for work not much later, leaving me alone with his wife who still didn't pay me any attention.


It felt rude to just leave, so I hid out in their bathroom until my car pool got there. She did come in once but only stared at me for a few seconds before going back to watching TV. I couldn't figure out what he saw in her.


The next morning was an exciting one for me. It was my last day in my old job, and I was anxious to start my new career.


My first day as an athlete went well, and I couldn't help but plot how every man in this town would fall for me even easier now. I was an athlete now! Being fit was what I did! How could a man possibly resist me?


I was excited to share my mastermind plot with the first man I saw, so I walked over.

"Woo, I'm an athlete now! I'm really fit and flexible!"

"Shshsh." Something was seriously wrong with the men in this town. Why did none of them want to hear how bendy or evil I was?


My eyes followed his, which was when I spotted the wannabe magician doing some cheap tricks. He seemed completely mesmerised with what she was doing, for whatever reason. She really was bad at this.


Her tricks didn't really hold my attention. He, however, did. I kept looking over at his fascinated face, but unfortunately I had plans for the evening and had to leave pretty soon.

It was slowly getting late, and I wanted to introduce myself to my new boss before it got too late.


My interviewer had given me my boss's name and number, so as soon as I was home I dialed Robert Newbie's number. We had a nice little chat. He didn't shout at me once, so that was an improvement right there.


To celebrate my career change I added some more bruises on my slip and slide.


I also phoned Rhoda since I still wanted to be friends, but Rhoda was busy so I phoned Odin instead. He had some time to spare, and I actually found it easier to talk to him over the phone. Maybe this way we could still be friends? He was the first guy I'd met in this town, I felt like we had a special connection because of it so I was quite set on making this happen. Even if he seemed set on making it difficult.


Typically, it didn't take long until my voices felt like they needed to have a say in things.

"You stupid idiot, what are you doing changing your job like that! Your last job was pefect for you, you evil thing of darkness!"

"It wasn't, my boss shouted at me, just like you do!" Apparently, me pushing over my bin hadn't taught these voices anything. Who'd have thought.


I was a little confused to find Rhoda online to chat, since she had been too busy to talk over the phone with me. Hoping for an answer, I started chatting with her, and she said how she was undercover somewhere and had to look busy, so she had decided to chat with some people.

Just like earlier that day with Odin, I got on with her better this way than I had done in person. She didn't seem to be angry with me for switching jobs, and we ended up chatting until it was gone midnight.


Things were really starting to look up for me. I even received my first promotion!

Now that I was finally happy with my job, the man hunt could really begin.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Wishes Fulfilled

Kate: Talk to Robert
         Use Slip ad Slide

No comments:

Post a Comment