Tuesday 22 May 2012

Generation One - Chapter Seven


I wasn't ready to give up on becoming Rhoda's friend just yet, so I invited her over for a chat. She and Odin had been the first people I'd met here, and I wanted to stay in touch.

When Rhoda came over, she looked different. She was pale, her eyes were glowing, and she looked happy! It scared me at first, but she still seemed to be her usual self so I didn't want to worry too much about it.

During the whole evening, she didn't shout at me once, and didn't even crinkle her forehead in anger. I had never see her so happy before, and we actually got along a lot easier as well.


Everything went smoothly, and a few hours into her visit I finally thought that I could consider her a friend.

When my phone rang, I wasn't sure whether I should answer or not. Rhoda gave me a quick nod though and started dancing by herself, so I took that as an okay from her. And it was Don's number, so I was curious anyway.

"Hey beautiful, how about that date now?" It wasn't the best pick up line I'd ever heard, but just the idea of seeing him again made my blood boil.

"I can't right now, but how about the weekend?"

"I'll pick you up Saturday evening" he said, sounding very sure of himself. He was a little arrogant, but I had thought before that he seemed very experienced. Women made it too easy for him, his attitude spoke volumes.


Rhoda stayed a few more hours after that, and while her mood seeme to have dropped a little we were still having fun together. Just after she had left my boss phoned me, asking if I could bring him some of my famous hot dogs. I had no idea who had spread the rumor that I could cook, but he offered me a cash reward and I was in no position to turn down extra money.

Since I had no barbecue I went to the only place in town I knew off that had one. The grill in the park was free to use, and I had seen others use it loads of times, so it couldn't be that hard.

Somehow, I was unable to take the hot dogs home with me afterwards. I hadn't brought a bag, and I was sure that by the time I had gone home to get one and come back the hot dogs would be gone. It was a shame, because they actually smelled nice.

Maybe I wasn't such a bad cook after all? Inspired by my great smelling sausages, I stopped by at the bookstore on the way home and bought some new, easy looking recipes. I also stopped by at the general store and bought my own grill.


My boss did still want those hot dogs, and I definitely still wanted that money! He hadn't said how much I would be getting, but it didn't matter.


I knew that my boss spent almost the whole day at the stadium, so with some time to kill I went to Odin's. I was hoping that, since things were going so well with Rhoda, he and I could still be friends.

Apparently, that wasn't so easy though. Our conversations turned more and more dry everytime we talked.

"Hey, Odin! Nice house you've got."

"U-huh."

"So, erm... You wanna hang out?"

"Meh."

So, no, it wasn't easy. It was a mystery to me how he had managed to find a wife, charm her and get out enough words for a proposal.


Things were getting pretty awkward quickly, and I actually felt relieved when he had to leave for work. Maybe it was time to give up trying to be his friend? He clearly didn't want to be mine.

I didn't bother going back home afterwards. I went to see my boss to deliver the hot dogs, which he paid me for in promised, sweet cash (much more than they were worth, but if he liked them...) and made my way to the park.


Don and I had decided to meet there instead, and by that point I was really looking forward to some fun! With a hot guy, no less!


We decided on watching a movie, but then got bored half way through and looked for a quiet, dark place which made the rest of the film a lot more enjoyable!


Afterwards, he showed me his romantic side. For about half an hour, we watched the stars together, his arm around me.

The whole time the sound of an acoustic guitar had spilled over to us, and I found myself growing more curious about who was playing it.


Don was fun, but I did like musicians. And this one was playing pretty well, too!

I got up, closely followed by Don, and peeked around the corner to see where this nice music was coming from.


A mysterious, dangerous looking guy was playing for tips. I didn't think I had met him before, but he looked handsome!

I told Don I was getting tired, and we said our goodbies. Making sure he was really out of sight first, I approached the guitar soloist.


"That was beautiful." I said to him in a low, husky voice.

"Thank you. You're the first one to say that."

"I can't believe that, your girlfriend must love how you're playing!"

"Haha, that is kind of you to say! I haven't got a girlfriend." After a short pause, which I filled with smiles, he added "I'm Buck, by the way."

"It's nice to meet you, Buck. I'm Kate."


He even had a cute smile.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wishes fulfilled

Kate: Become friends with Rhoda (finally!!)
         Buy a new recipe
         Gain a new cooking skill
         Woohoo with Don
         Chat with Don
         Go on a great date
         Talk to Buck

Opportunities fulfilled

Kate: Hot Dogs, Please

No comments:

Post a Comment