Tuesday 15 May 2012

Generation One - Chapter Three


Early in the morning I phoned Rhoda and Odin for a little get together. We had gotten on fine so far, and I had gone without a friend for far too long.

There were only so many conversations I could have with myself before it got boring and frustrating. It was fun most times, but it also constantly made me angry at myself. The replies I gave myself were just stupid, who wouldn't get mad?


I had a few hours left to go before my guests would arrive, so I decided to check out my new computer. It wasn't a very good one, but it was all I could afford, and it allowed me to get to know more people.

While I was taking a look around my new programs I came across the games on it, and decided on a quick game of football. It was going well until the ringing of my phone distracted me.


The stadium must have kept my details from when I took that fitness class, because they offered me a cash reward if I worked for half an hour using a TV or radio, went jogging and went swimming. I agreed since I could really use that extra money. They didn't mention how much that cash reward would be worth, but every little helps, right?


Odin and Rhoda were supposed to arrive in less than an hour, so I thought it'd be a good idea to cook us some brunch. My salad had gone pretty well, and I felt brave enough to try something that involved actual cooking. I had always liked waffles, and I figured how hard could it be?


Apparently very, because not only did they burn, they also stank out my house.


That meant that we didn't have food for our brunch, other than cereal and boring sandwiches. At first, our conversation seemed to be going well! I was still none the wiser as to how much we actually had in common, but we seemed to get along anyway.

Until Rhoda threw a random tantrum at me. I had no idea what she was on about, but she just started shouting at me out of nowhere.


Apparently, she was now properly pissed off with me, 'cause she left not much later, not looking very happy.  I bet it was the smell of burnt waffles. That was annoying even me, and I had probably gotten used to it by that point.


As sad as it was that Rhoda had left so quickly, it did mean that I now had Odin all to myself. He didn't seem to mind, either, and we got along very well. Unfortunately, he couldn't stay too much longer, either, because he had to rush off to work. But for the amount of time that he spent with me I slowly got closer to him. Still didn't know that much about him either, though. It wasn't easy to get to know much about them, but I liked a challenge.


Eventually, Odin left for work, looking a lot happier than Rhoda had done when she had left.


It was still early. I had scheduled our get together for eleven am, since they both worked afternoons and evenings. It was a nice day, so I decided to explore Riverview on foot, by jogging. That way I could stay alive in my job and work towards the goal the stadium had set for me.

Riverview sure was pretty! Much more rural than I was used to. At first I had not been sure how much I would like it, but I actually enjoyed the quiet jogs, which were becoming more regular again.


I had saved up a bit of money, and was finally able to buy a washing machine. Which really should have been my first step, but at least now I could wash my clothes. Better late than never, right?


As it was getting later I felt a sudden urge to phone one of my co workers, Don Lothario. We had talked a couple of times at work, and he seemed nice, so I figured it might be nice to become friends. Maybe he'd be more approachable than Odin and Rhoda were.


Before I went back inside I noticed the papers just before my porch. I never really read the paper, and had assumed that I just didn't get the local one, but now I realised that the paper boy had simply dumped them in my bushes. No miracle I hadn't seen them.

Most of them had collected a lot of dirt and moisture, which actually looked and smelled pretty disgusting. They were practically begging me to throw them out, and I was more than happy to oblige.


The next morning I tried my luck at making waffles again. Thankfully they turned out edible this time, and didn't stink up my entire house.

I also decided to invite Odin around again. I really wanted to get to know him, he was just making it so damn hard!


Hoping that my bikini would sway him, I greeted him outside the front door. After the normal greetings of "hello" and "how are you" our talk went smoothly.


But then I got mad at him over something stupid, no doubt. Honestly, I couldn't remember, but he didn't take it well. He looked a little irritated by my sudden outburst, but before I could apologise or explain (whatever the hell I'd have said) he had left.


"Nice going, Katy!"

"Shut up! My name's Kate, you stupid bitch!"

Yeah, I was back to talking to myself again. But what other choice did I have? Rhoda started shouting at me for no (good) reason, and I did the same with Odin. Who else was I supposed to talk to? At least I listened to myself!


I went to the pool after that. Swimming in cool water sounded perfect after whatever it was I had gotten angry about, and I did still have to finish my circuit.

The pool was busy, busier even than the last time I had been. I changed into my work-out clothes and climbed in, carefully swimming amongst the other visitors.

I was really enjoying myself, when suddenly I heard my phone ring from one of the seats. Luckily, I was close when it started ringing, and made it before they hang up again.

It was the stadium, informing me that I had now completed my circuit and that S350 would be left in my mail box asap. No idea how these people knew so quickly, but S350 was a lot of money to me. No way was I going to tell them that I hadn't worked out using a TV yet. Their cock-up, my gain.


Feeling lucky after my sudden infusion of cash, I rang Odin. Maybe he didn't hold a grudge? Maybe if we went somewhere else, other than my home, I'd be able to get to know him. Tickle some of his secrets out of him. The park where we had met, perhaps?

But he did still hold a grudge. He made some excuse for why he didn't have time right now, and hang up before I could say goodbye.

Sigh. This friendship was a lot harder to achieve than I had hoped.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wishes fulfilled

Kate: buy a washing machine (thank god for that!)
          improve athletic skill
          have a group outing with Odin

Opportunities completed

Kate: The complete circuit (work out for half a hour by jogging, swimming, and using the TV/Stereo)

No comments:

Post a Comment