Monday 14 May 2012

Generation One - Chapter Two


Today was my first day at work, and to say that I hated my outfit would have been an understatement. How was I supposed to blend in with this? Of course chances were that I wouldn't be pickpocketing anyone, but still. I looked awful.


As it turned out, I had expected too much of my first day. Nothing had happened. I had simply been driving through town, on my own, because Rhoda wanted me to be more familiar with Riverview first before depending on me to drive them to safety. It was a nice way of getting to know the town, but I was bored. It was a nice, rural place, but it didn't take me long until I knew my way around. Not six hours, anyway.

Just like my house, Riverview was nice but small. Most important places were signposted, so it was nearly impossible to get lost.


But, since money was slowly coming in, I decided to treat myself and bought a dryer. Whatever possessed me to think I needed a dryer even though I didn't have a washing machine I'll never know, but I had it now. I had placed it in the bathroom, where it was mainly collecting dust until I had the money or the desire to buy a washing machine to go with it.


Odin and Rhoda seemed to be at work all the time. Odin finished around 9pm, and Rhoda worked the shift after me, so I was alone most of the time. I had met Don Lothario at work by now, but I wasn't really interested in anything other than being colleagues. No idea what it was about him, but I wasn't bothered.

A lot of the time I just talked to myself. No idea why, I did feel a little silly because I kept saying stupid things back at myself which then made me angry with myself, but I didn't have anyone else to talk to.

Since I still had a couple of hours before Rhoda started her shift, I phoned her and asked her over.


In the meantime, I thought it might be a good idea to pay my bills. I still had some money left over, so it wasn't quite a problem yet. Hopefully with my job it wouldn't become one, either.

Rhoda arrived while I was still outside, so we went back inside together.


I wasn't sure how much we actually had in common. It seemed to be difficult to get anything personal out of her, but I assumed that had to do with her job. She had been a criminal for much longer than me, and was probably used to being careful around others. I probably hadn't been her colleague for long enough yet for her, or any of the others, to trust me just yet. How often did the police try to spy on them, from inside their ranks? I made a quick mental note to myself to be more careful as well in the future, but before I could learn much more from her she had to leave.


Which meant that I was stuck talking to myself again. It wasn't too bad, sometimes I actually got decent conversations out of it!


Before I could get into much detail with myself I felt the overpowering need to sit down. At first I tried the toilet, but got up again almost immediately and went to sit at my table instead. The toilet just wasn't as comfortable, and cold.

Lost in thought I looked outside, and I realised how dark it had gotten. It was past ten by now, and I did have work again the next day, so I went to bed.


Not before saying good night to myself, though.

Oh dear, I really needed some friends. Quickly.


The next morning I had my third meal of autumn salad in a row, but this was the first time I had it as breakfast. Not a brilliant choice, let me tell you, but I didn't have anything else in the fridge.


Things were definitely starting to look up, though. My second day at work had been much better than the previous one, and mysterious-darkness guy even promoted me. It had definitely happened much faster than I had expected, but it meant more money so I took it gratefully.


With a spring in my step I went home and phoned Odin. I was really beginning to like him, and actually wanted to be his friend.

Maybe we could hang out some time?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wishes fulfilled


Kate: Buy Dryer
          Buy Computer

Opportunities Completed

Kate: "Assist Heistal Soil and Water Research Facility"

No comments:

Post a Comment