Sunday 3 June 2012

Generation One - Chapter Fifteen


I was pregnant.

Once the initial shock was over, and I had gotten used to the idea, I was looking forward to being pregnant. To being a mother. I had gone to the bookshop and bought a book, which was supposed to help me prepare for the months to come. It was very helpful, and gave me an excuse to sit down which I appreciated very much. My back had started hurting early on, which, according to my book, was perfectly normal, but I still appreciated very chance to sit down.


Since I wasn't really showing yet, I could still work out well enough. I got tired more quickly, but I wanted to stay on top as long as I could. My body was about to change a lot, and I wanted to stay fit as long as possible.


I did treat myself as well. I had a lot of money saved up by then, and could easily afford one or two spar treatments. Their massages worked miracles on my aching back, and I immensely enjoyed every last minute of it.


And I did rest a lot! Eventually I could hardly work out for ten minutes straight without needing to sit down, so by the time I was five months into my pregnancy I almost did nothing but watch TV, and read books about what was yet to come.

In those months, I was preparing myself and the house as much as I could. I bought a high chair, a crib and a teddy bear, and was constantly worrying that there was something I had forgotten. I was sure that I had the essentials, though, which helped to ease my mind a little.


Max wasn't over so often anymore, but we talked on the phone a lot. I was sure that the baby was his, but I wasn't sure how to tell him. Or whether I should tell him at all. I had kept my word, and hadn't been with anyone else, so deep down I suspected that Max knew, too. I didn't know why he didn't say anything, but I figured he wanted to give me time to tell him myself. And I would! I just didn't know when or how quite yet.


Then one day, when I was playing a computer game, my water broke. I had never been in pain this bad, but managed to call a taxi between contractions. After 16 hours of labor, I brought twins home with me.


Caelan...


... and Ebony. They were both healthy, and had been allowed to come home with me after the usual tests and health checks. I hadn't been prepared for twins, so I ordered another crib and another teddy bear online, next day delivery.


The baby shower which I had meant to throw before I gave birth had to be delayed, until a few days after their birth. I had gotten used to having twins in the house by then, and had been desperate for some social interactions. It was great seeing my friends again, especially Don and Max. Even Rhoda had made it.


It was then that I decided to tell Max. He had a right to know. It was still too early to tell whether they took after their father a lot or not, but I figured that sooner or later, one of them would show their heritage. I didn't want him to find out that way.

"Max, I'm so glad you could come. There's something I should have told you sooner."

"Oh?" He looked at me expectantly, and I took a deep breath in. For motivation. It did fuck all.

"Caelan and Ebony... You're their father. I don't expect you to move in with me, or pay me anything, but I thought you should know."

"I know" he smiled, and I wanted to punch him. "I had my suspicions, Kate. In fact, I hoped they'd be mine. If they had been someone else's you would have been cheating on me, and I did the maths. Thank you for telling me."

"I'm so relieved you're not mad that I didn't tell you months ago!"

"Listen, why don't I move in with you? The kids could use a father."


"I'd love that." He was right, the twins really could use a father. I hadn't exactly planned on becoming a mother, but now that I was I wanted to do right by them. They deserved a good chance.

"Do you think we should..." A shy smile spread on his lips, and somehow I knew exactly what he meant.

"Get married?" I finished for him, and he nodded. "I must admit, I always pictured my proposal a lot more romantic than this. But yes, Max. I think we should get married." The idea actually had me pretty excited.


The twins grew up so quickly. A lot happened in the years that followed the late baby shower, and Max's proposal. Ebony cried more than Caelan did, but she loved the little xylophone I had gotten her. She would play it pretty much every day, but when Caelan saw her with it he started using it, too - much to the dislike of Ebony.


Caelan was laughing a lot, and cried a lot less than Ebony did. He was definitely a daddy's boy, so I enjoyed every moment I got to hold him.


Max and I wanted to get married as soon as possible, so the kids would grow up and know him as their father and as part of the family. He didn't move in until the wedding, which was another reason why we wanted to hurry. We didn't want anything big or fancy, so we simply arranged all the essentials, invited our friends and his family over, and set everything up behind the garden.


Under the stars, we said our vows and shared our first kiss as husband and wife. It wasn't the ceremony I had envisioned when I was a girl, but it was better in many ways. I married someone I actually loved and cared for, and that was all I needed.


Somehow, considering all the times Max and I had been on dates, had sex and had been together, it had never occured to me to ask him his age. I hadn't realised how young he was until he bought a birthday cake, and announced that his birthday was just around the corner. I felt a little weird at first, knowing he was about to become 35 and I was about to turn 55, but I got used to it.

I had no idea how it happened, but Max managed to set fire to the kitchen when he blew out his candles. Our alarm went off, the twins started crying from the sudden noise, and a fierce looking fire fighter kicked the door in, water hose in her hands. Luckily, the second try went a lot smoother, and we could have some cake after all.


After that things quickly became routine. Max taught Caelan how to speak, while I taught Ebony how to set her little feet in front of one another without falling over. Every now and again we swapped children, but continued the same training. It was then that we realised that Ebony was learning much quicker than Caelan was. We didn't think he was stupid, but we had noticed that Ebony was quickly learning new things in general, no matter what they were. She was so smart for her age, and we were beginning to wonder if maybe we had a little genius on our hands.


The next years flew by insanely fast. Before we knew it, the kids could walk and talk, slept through the night, and were about to have another birthday. They were about to start school in a few years time, which I found hard to come to terms with.

We didn't throw a big party and kept it personal. Just the twins, me, Max, and Don.

And they grew up beautifully. Both of them were very driven, and knew exactly what they wanted.


Not two days after their birthdays I found Caelan sitting in front of the computer, typing away quicker than I had thought possible.

"What are you doing?" I asked, reminding myself to block certain websites.

"I'm writing, Mum!"

"You're writing? And what?"

"A story! You wanna read it?" I wasn't sure where he got the creativity from, but it wasn't me.

"Yes, of course!" And, well, it wasn't bad! He was only five, but it was very imaginative for his age!


His sister was the opposite. While he sat inside, thinking up stories, she would be outside, fishing. The river wasn't too far away from our house, so I could keep an eye on her. I had no idea what she saw in it, but she seemed to enjoy it, so I was happy.

To think I was a Mum, and wife... It still seemed overwhelming at times. I was getting old, my birthday wasn't far away. Soon it would be time to sit back-

And let the twins take over.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


So then, this is the end of generation one! Next chapter the heir or heiress will take over - you will decide who it'll be in the poll, which will follow shortly ;)


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wishes Fulfilled

Kate: Read a pregnancy book
         Get a massage
         Buy a High Chair
         Buy a stuffed animal
         Buy a xylophone
         Get married
         Buy an exercise machine worth at least S750
         Teach Ebony and Caelan how to walk
         Teach Ebony how to talk

(also several "cuddle ..." and "tickle ..." ones)

No comments:

Post a Comment